Western Key To Tweed Courthouse Revival
When terrorist planes struck New York City’s Twin towers last September, Western craftsmen were real-time observers. The Western crew was on site at the historic Tweed Courthouse, directly behind City Hall. Ironically, they watched the first World Trade Center building fall while helping give the legendary Tweed new life as a museum.
Owned by the City of New York, the five-story, marble courthouse was erected over a 20-year period beginning in 1861. It barely escaped demolition a number of times prior to receiving historic status – and a permanent reprieve – from the New York City Landmarks Preservation in 1974.
Western worked in tandem with the construction management firm Bovis Lend Lease, LMB, Inc. of New York City and the Albany architectural firm of John G. White Associates in the 30-month restoration. According to a feature story in Building Design & Construction (March 2001) the trio had its work cut out from the start. Quoting Don Curtis, vice president of Bovis Lend Lease:
“Various parts of the building had deteriorated so badly that portions of the property were fenced off and shoring towers erected to stabilize the overhanging projections.”
Western’s role in the $80 million revival was extensive