BOMA 2014 National Issues Conference
and Winter Business Meeting
February 2 – 5, 2014
Last week delegations, from Texas (Fort Worth, Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) and others from Little Rock to Albuquerque to Des Moines to Oklahoma City, as well as other locales from coast to coast and border to border, attended Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) National Issues Conference and Winter Business Meeting in Washington, DC.
The conference was a great networking opportunity for BOMA Allied members to have a captive audience of senior level property professionals, as very few vendors realize the importance of this conference. I had the pleasure of meeting many new contacts from the markets that Western represents and rekindling relationships with old friends from all over the country.
In support of our real estate partners, we visited the offices of Texas Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, Texas Congressmen Micheal Burgess, Kay Granger and Kenny Marchant to inform our elected officials and their staffs about far reaching industry concerns and to ask for their support of:
- Terrorism Risk Insurance Act (TRIA) extension.
- Extending and permanently reducing the timeline for depreciating leasehold improvements to 15 years.
- Permanently reducing the timeline for depreciating fire sprinkler retro fits to 15 years.
- Policies to permanently reduce the timeline for depreciating new roofs to 20 years.
- Currently, TRIA is scheduled to expire at the end of 2014 and the three depreciation issues must be scheduled to amortize over 39 years.
Western Construction Group has been an active participant in the BOMA meetings and appreciates these conference opportunities to bring attention to issues and highlight solutions for our industry and our customers.
Regional Business Development Manager